Welcome to Time Warpers!

Discussion in 'News' started by Kenzie, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Kenzie

Kenzie Administrator
    Developer Moderator

Welcome to Time Warpers, our new multi-player incremental RPS game (picture Borderlands as an incremental). We're going to combine the best aspects from Time Clickers (incremental) & Time Gunners (FPS & multi-player) into an addicting & fun role-playing shooter.

We've just started working on the game so it's still in very early development. We're currently experimenting with some of our design & gameplay ideas to create the initial prototype. Time Warpers is being developed as a Steam game.

As always we’ll be listening to your feedback, suggestions and ideas to help shape Time Warpers. Just like with Time Gunners, we’re aiming to do weekly updates (Fridays) on the progress of the project, so be sure to check back and let us know what you think.

Doggeu, Wormy, MagicalWriter and 3 others like this.
  2. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

You might notice the gif loops seamlessly ;)

A few other noticeable things:
    - Trying a new style for red cubes, more integrated into the rock. Rock will likely chip away as you shoot them (some old style red cubes in the background)
    - Edge grass breaking up the blocky look of the terrain
    - Happy little flowers and clovers Bob Ross

MiguelDreamer and Kenzie like this.
  3. MiguelDreamer

MiguelDreamer Spec Ops

The gif looks pretty good! Can't wait to see the progress of the game :)

MagicalWriter and Kenzie like this.
  4. Vonbear

Vonbear Spec Ops

No idea what a RPS is but it sounds nice already. And nice to see the art style of time clickers back into this game!

Doggeu and Kenzie like this.
  5. Kenzie

Kenzie Administrator
    Developer Moderator

RPS is a Role-Playing Shooter. The best example is the Borderlands series. It's like other RPG games (Diablo & Torchlight) but first-person & with guns :D

Still playing around with the art style (the gif above is from one of our experiments). For now we're using the Time Gunners world as the base and going from there.

MiguelDreamer likes this.
  6. Vonbear

Vonbear Spec Ops

Ooh, looks fun!
    Will it be free to play or pay to play?

Doggeu likes this.
  7. Kenzie

Kenzie Administrator
    Developer Moderator

When it comes to making money from a game we’ve got 3 options:

Option 1 - Free web game with ads
    Option 2 - Free to play game with microtransactions
    Option 3 - One time fee

Our plan for Time Gunners was to use option 1, but since we can’t make a web game right now due to the performance concerns, this option has been eliminated.

We like the idea of free games (which is why we liked option 1) however in order to implement microtransactions we'd need to spend a lot of time focusing on that system (infrastructure, creating & implementing virtual goods, balancing, etc) instead of focusing on gameplay. We'd prefer to focus on balancing the game for all players instead of trying to make it work for players that would and wouldn't use microtransactions.

So we’ve decided to go with option 3, a 1 time fee (price still TBD).

Once we get far enough in development we plan on doing some closed Alpha & Beta testing sessions where members of the community will receive a copy of the game to assist us with testing.

8. MiguelDreamer

MiguelDreamer Spec Ops

How will this work? The copy will be temporary or permanent?

jar_of_bread and MagicalWriter like this.
  9. Kenzie

Kenzie Administrator
    Developer Moderator

It would be an official game key, so if you get one for helping us with testing, that copy will always work even when the game is fully released.

The one disclaimer I'll make now (and probably many times in the future) is that if you're testing with us, there's a good chance that we'll have to reset your progress at least once (definitely before release) which means you'd have to start the game from the beginning again :)

10. Tessaract2

Tessaract2 Rookie

How would you apply for testing?

11. Kenzie

Kenzie Administrator
    Developer Moderator

There's still a lot of development & things that we need to get in place (going through Steam Greenlight, etc) before we'll be needed players for testing.

However keep an eye on the forums as I'm sure we'll probably post in here once we get to that point :)

12. polandmatt

polandmatt Spec Ops

oo i like the part about testing.. can't wait for this to be available *waits patiently*

jar_of_bread likes this.
  13. chippy_2014

chippy_2014 Rookie

if you want I can help with the testing its not like i have anything better to do

Kenzie likes this.
  14. Wormy

Wormy Rookie

I say build up hype and go for a one-time purchase . Something like this game is unique (as of now) and if it doesn't blow up, another developer will make it blow up. Message me if you need closed testers, I have a background of closed alpha testing and video game quality assurance!

Proton and Kenzie like this.
  15. MaDMan242

MaDMan242 Spec Ops

Thank God for that. If there is one thing i hate in games these days it's microtransactions !!

Proton and Kenzie like this.
  16. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

A lot of Clicker games added mtx and claimed they made good money from them (more than Ads), I was skeptical since I have no urge to buy them myself. I saw them as feeding on the anxiety of players, a very negative thing to bring into the world. The thought of kids getting in trouble for buying :timecube: makes me feel sick :confused:.

After a lot of thought, I think I understand how they should work though. Not all players are price-sensitive in the same way. We only charged $10 for Time Rifters, but I know some people wanted to give more to support the fact that we were experimenting with VR, but they had no way to. If we increased the price to $20 (which a lot of VR games were at) it would alienate non-vr people since that isn't an appropriate price for that title.

So the theory is, you find the price that is right for the game/audience, then allow purely cosmetic mtx items to allow these price-insensitive players to support development and get recognition (works best in multiplayer).

This is actually something I do. Rainbow 6: Siege is a full price game at $70 CDN, I bought it over a year ago. Last week I bought the Season 2 DLC pass for $40. It doesn't affect the game in any real way, at most I get new content 1 week early (which doesn't matter to me). I just wanted to show support for the game so they keep updating it. But not everyone needs to do that, people aren't made to feel bad for not buying it. I do get a special gun skin, but I don't think it is too noticeable.

There really are people out there that do drop $1,000 on a game and it doesn't affect them negatively. This doesn't just happen in games, you see this in Kickstarter & Patreon too. Often they are called whales, I can't imagine they like this term though o_O

17. crazytaco2zday

So, your pricing it at $10? When the game comes out, how will the multi-player aspect work (because how i see it happening is that all the players who started first would kill everything and get the money on their own, leaving you in the dirt). And would their be graphic options if some people want to play but their PC is too bad to sun the flowing leaves and bloom, and animations, please add sliders for these and not boxes.

jar_of_bread likes this.
  18. Kenzie

Kenzie Administrator
    Developer Moderator

We don't know the price of the game yet, just that it will be a paid Steam game.

We want the multi-player experience to feel fun not frustrating so every player has their own loot/gold (no worrying about someone taking your stuff). So having some one in a zone with you is a positive since it helps you clear the waves quicker & you both walk away with the same amount of gold.

Our goal is to have it run on a range of hardware but we're still focusing on the gameplay right now so not sure what Settings options we'll have.

19. crazytaco2zday

most of these may have not been decided yet, but how will servers work, will it be something we can select like gmod, or just throw you in like time gunners, and if so can friends join other friends, will game saving count one save per server or a "cloud save" also will it put you at the beginning zone everytime you get on, or drop you where to left at, and will it be able to be played without internet like no man's sky, and if there is one whats the death penalty?

20. Kenzie

Kenzie Administrator
    Developer Moderator

We haven't made it to the server stuff yet so not 100% sure how that will work.

We'd like to make it as easy as possible to play, so ideally you'd just press Play and you're in the game (similar to Time Gunners). Being able to play with friends is important, so we'll try to make that part as easy as possible too.

Right now we're thinking that everyone would have 1 save, that way you don't lose progress if switching between single player & multi-player servers.

Nope you won't have to start back at zone 1 every time you play. The game is made up of regions, each region has 5 zones. Currently when starting the game it will put you back to the first zone of the region you left off on (for example when you closed the game you were on zone 47, when you start back up you'll be on zone 46 - the first zone for that region).

You'll definitely need internet connection for the multi-player aspect, not sure about single player yet.

Right now when you die you're put back to the first zone in the current region (so if you die on zone 23, you'll re-spawn in zone 21). Any zones that you previously cleared will still be cleared.

However all of the above may change as we continue development :)

Vonbear and crazytaco2zday like this.