Return full auto-aim speed

Discussion in 'Time Clickers' started by Dimps, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Dimps

Dimps Elite

I propose a change for auto-aim, that would both satisfy legit players and nerf botters.

Problem:
    1. Auto-aim is a powerful "botting" tool: you just spam left clicks with a piece of software, auto-aim does the rest.
      Slow auto-aim does not solve botting problem at all, it can just slow bots down a little bit.
    2. Slow auto-aim is gimping legit players who have "auto-clicks" leveled up: more of that legit damage misses the target as slow crosshair is moving from destroyed block to a new one.

Thought process:

Legit players have two modes of play: active aiming&clicking, and passive afk. When actively playing, one wouldn't need auto-aim. When afk, one would expect full power of hard-earned :weaponcube: aim speed talent to work 100% of time.

Solution:

Replace all auto-aim buttons [​IMG] with just one switch: Auto mode (aka AFK mode).

Auto mode would enable auto-aim for every weapon and stop registering clicks for firing them.

This solves just about every problem and makes Time Clickers a better game.
    • legit players are happy because they always get what they paid for (you can see many complains about it, obviously people don't like their AFK being gimped)
    • botting is finally not more efficient than manual playing, and not as simple as loop{send asdfg click}.

Implementation details:
    1. AFK mode can be enabled manually.
    2. AFK mode enables itself automatically after 60 seconds of no user events registered in :timecube: game. This means not even moving mouse above game window. Would activate in 60 seconds after game was minimized or went out of focus as well.
    3. Distinctive overlay shown somewhere making it clear AFK mode is enabled, intuitive instruction given how to disable it. We don't want players upset "why does game not listen to mouse?!"
      Probably clicking game area twice within a single second should disable AFK mode automatically. Think of it as of unlocking a phone.
    4. Switching AFK mode have a cooldown built-in, to prevent botters to enable it to move crosshair, then disable and click, repeat.
      Priority is to make legit players comfortable.
      I proposse it have 100 hidden charges of no-cooldown, then a cooldown of 1 minute. Legit players won't have any idea. And it's not hard to implement.
    5. Changing auto-clicking :weaponcube: talents is in order to make everything adhere to same spirit. I propose it only fire when AFK mode is enabled, but when playing manually, it should instead give proportional DPS boost for manual clicks.
      That would add value back to manual clicking and make it more satisfying again. Currently it's devalued from all the fuss going around even without me clicking. Feels like I'm not needed as a player at all.
      Remember what's it all about. It's a clicker game. A game one comes to click some bad guys with his mouse and get some satisfaction. Not a tycoon game.

gent00m and Humerez like this.
  2. Humerez

Humerez Spec Ops

nice idea !

3. Wiillyy

Wiillyy Spec Ops

I... don't like it. And honestly, it might just be the way the idea is Presented, but I feel like this idea is really jumping the gun. This thread starts with two assumptions: The two "Problems" the idea is supposed to fix.

The problem with assumption number 1 is that it assumes that "bots" are a problem. Possibly that the change was even made in order to FIX the "bot problem." Which, judging by the threads on this forum that already exist that discuss popular/useful scripts, the developers don't seem to think this is a case, and the community-at-large doesn't seem to think so either. Plus, it's already been stated that the way things are now is the way that auto-clicks were supposed to work in the first place, and the change is actually a bug-fix.

The problem with assumption number 2 is that it's false. Or at the very least what you're saying doesn't really make sense. I mean, the entire point of an upgrade system is to spend currency to make the game easier. Problem is, leveling up "auto-clicks" doesn't really gimp the player in any way, shape, or form. It's not like having more auto-clicks per minute is somehow going to cause you to do less damage. Unless you're arguing that the amount gimped is equal to the amount of wasted damage. In which case, the auto clicking scripts are actually gimped much more by the slow auto aim.

And this AFK thing won't change that. Add all the cooldowns and hidden values you want. Either you'll find a legit player who runs into a problem with it, or people who write scripts will find a way to script around it. Some people just want to play the game their own way, and I don't really get the big problem with that if I'm being honest. Might be nice if they allowed those people to opt in to a separate leaderboard or something, but once we start doing stuff like that we have to start splitting hairs on where we draw the line between "legit" and "cheaty" gameplay. And then we just lump all the "cheaters" together, even if by some standards they aren't really cheating anyway. Because they just used a script because they have arthritis or don't want to have to buy a new mouse every two weeks because they just like clicking SO much. Is it likely that's the case? Nah, but I just don't see the point in caring about the highscore board enough to nitpick over stuff like that, so there's not much point in starting. Anyway, tangent over.

It also assumes that the Auto-Aim upgrades are supposed to be gained in their entirety during afk play. Which as I've stated elsewhere isn't the case. Based on the information that this change reflects the way these upgrades were intended to work in the first place, it seems that the Auto Click advantage is the only one that actually gives the player any advantage during AFK play. Auto-aim upgrades don't help you when playing afk. At all. The Auto Aim can be utilized by simply activating the Auto Fire special ability. It only requires you to press your 1 key. And it only has a 1 minute cooldown. Seriously. Try using your 1 key and you'll feel a LOT better about this update. You might not TOTALLY agree with me, but it'll still make more sense. Go ahead. Try it now. Give it a solid 5 minutes of activating that ability a few times. This post will still be here when you get back.

THIS is where I'm not so much confused as I just flat out disagree with you. When I'm actively playing, I still use auto-aim a lot. I haven't quite figured out exactly how I'm going to deal with THREE weapons, but when I used both the pistol and the launcher, I usually let the launcher auto-aim so it would hit the larger groups of blocks with the splash damage, and I actively aimed the pistol to get rid of the blocks that were too far away from any other blocks to take any splash damage. If I actively aim with all of my weapons, I can't do that. I can only target one part of the screen at a time. This AFK mode would completely trash my current playstyle as my options would either be "Aim all of your weapons at the same part of the screen" or "Let the computer play for you" and that doesn't sound like a game I really want to waste any time playing at all.

This thread also seems to be coming from a place that assumes that there ARE a lot of people complaining about this change. And don't get me wrong, I see people who aren't happy with their auto-aim speed being reduced, but most of the time I just see people who are confused as to WHY the change was made. I'm actually kind of interested in seeing what people are thinking about this change in a couple weeks. Once they've figured out how this is supposed to "work." Because so far my experience has been that the curve on this game has felt a lot less bumpy since the 1.3 update, and I as a player have a lot more agency in how fast I progress through the game now. I'm hoping other people come to see it the same way because I'm actually pretty happy with this change along with the more beneficial ones.

TL;DR, to me this suggestion feels like it's not even for the same game I'm playing. It feels like it's built for a particular style of gameplay that I don't use in the first place. And maybe that's just because I haven't been playing this game terribly long, but I still don't really like it.

Fuhrious likes this.
  4. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

The auto-aim is actually a really nice solution for mobile where sometimes the screen is too small to accurately aim.

What about just running aim speed at 50% unless Automatic Fire is active, then it goes to 100%?

Realshi likes this.
  5. Humerez

Humerez Spec Ops

we need juste auto aim 2 time more fast

6. Dimps

Dimps Elite

Your game became popular when there were no auto-aim. It was fine with that many people: this what made your game so distinct from "clicker heroes", "sakura clicker", "cookie clicker" and such. Time Clickers is more challenging hence more satisfying to play.

This is my vision of how game should be done, I've described it in detail in first message. To refine one of it's ideas: manual actions should be manual, and it should be more efficient than automatic. (making it not as easy for botters is a nice addition too)

You have your vision of how game should be done, and it's obviously much better than mine: you have the Data, you have the experience and you are the one who made it this good and successful. (if I'd be good at making games you'd probably see me making games ^^)

I guess I'll have to request other players to comment on the matter, what do you think, guys?

Timmy likes this.
  7. gent00m

gent00m Rookie

While on computers and laptop auto-clickers can be used easily, this isn't the case on mobile phones. And what you also said for mobile phones, aiming and clicking is a quite difficult task. so for this my suggestion would be to differentiate a bit, and let the auto-aim always aim fast on mobile phones, and on the browser / steam version the auto-aiming can be only triggered by the automatic-fire mode as it is right now (or the system Dimps proposed earlier)

8. AmbulatoryBeard

I like that option, only thing I would suggest is for clarity to change the wording on artifacts/ability and reduce the auto-aim increase from them so that the automatic fire doubles the auto-aim speed rather than having auto-aim run at half speed when automatic fire isn't on. Of course the effect is exactly the same but it'll read easier for some people.

Proton likes this.
  9. slowbro

slowbro Spec Ops

Interesting ideas ... All I have to add is that I like to be able to click when auto-aim is active. If it looks like a boss fight is going to be close, I like to click as soon as the pistol aims to try to improve my chances. So I kinda like things how they are. But really, with or without Dimps's idea implemented, I think I'd like the game either way.

Dimps likes this.
  10. Wiillyy

Wiillyy Spec Ops

I don't hate the idea of speeding up the idle mode cursors in general, but I almost wonder if it'd be worth making a separate augment altogether for aim speed outside of Automatic Fire if you're going to go that route. Might be a little confusing to have two separate Auto Aim augments for each weapon, but you could still do it.

OR just have one augment that upgrades the auto aim by a percentage of the Automatic Fire Aim Speed for all guns at once. It'd make it clear that the two upgrades are very separate things. But I'm always a fan of more buttons to click.

raypatmurph likes this.
  11. Fuhrious

Fuhrious Elite

This makes some pretty bold assumptions:

1. Players who use software based input methods are not 'legit' players
    2. Players that utilize the automated feature provided in game are not 'legit' players
    3. The auto-aim provided by the game is the only auto-aim players can utilize
    4. that the auto-aim provided in game is somehow superior to manual targeting.

All of which are false.

12. Arnkh

Arnkh Rookie

Nah, this is all half-measures. Let's add a small pop-up window that'll appear at random intervals and proceed to zoom around the screen. It'll say something like "Are you here?" and have a button saying "Yes", and you'll have to click on it to remove it. While it's active, you can't upgrade heroes or click anywhere else. That'll show them dirty botters.
    Seriously, why don't you mind your own damn business? It's a single player game.

13. Muche

Muche Elite

This won't help. I've seen simple script that clicks at the whole screen, in an attempt to catch :rainbowball:. You need to strike a balance between hampering botters and not annoying regular players.

14. Arnkh

Arnkh Rookie

Shame, guess then anti-botters will have to resort to firing squads.