Reported Players - Hackers.

Discussion in 'Time Clickers' started by Demurge, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Demurge

Demurge Spec Ops

2. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

We're not too worried about hackers since it's a single player game.

But you can see how useful the stats are for detecting them :)

EthanBar and Vanni like this.
  3. ZizzyDizzyMC

ZizzyDizzyMC Rookie

Question. Do you care if I goof off and hack? For the glory of "Mom get the camera!" of course. [​IMG]

4. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

We do care in the sense that we put some barriers in the way of many hacks (memory, speed, stats). But there are some vulnerabilities left in because the performance impact would be too great.

We intentionally allow auto-clickers, since that is how some people prefer to play.

Since this is a single player game, we have no plans to erase stats or ban accounts of cheaters though unless it becomes a problem. If we see people taunting at 3000 without the stats to back it up then we can do something, but that is more of a trolling issue. No love for trolls.

5. ZizzyDizzyMC

ZizzyDizzyMC Rookie

Oh Ok I can see that. Anyway to let a user disable his / her stats from appearing in leaderboards? I plan to get so high it breaks the fundamentals of the game. I do it for fun to just about every idle game I have ever played. For me to do this, well.... Yeah, I don't want it showing up in leaderboards lol.

6. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

If you play without being signed into your account it won't send stats, it will still save them locally though.

7. ZizzyDizzyMC

ZizzyDizzyMC Rookie

8. Akuma_no_Tsubasa

Akuma_no_Tsubasa Spec Ops

This is an answer which I really do not like to see from an administrator.
    No matter if something is singleplayer or multiplayer. As soon as only one value is submitted online, such players have to be banned. Period. No discussion needed. Same for [​IMG]

9. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

Shoggy has been playing for a long time. He's pushing forward and not time warping, dimension shift is his ally.

But our plan is to eventually allow people to create their own groups. So you could join a group for non-auto-clickers, and the group leader (or moderators) could choose to kick people out of the group if their stats appear to show cheating. Not positive if this will happen for this game or a sequel though, depends on the growth/popularity. This is a necessary feature for a multi-player version though.

Vanni and polandmatt like this.
  10. manniL

manniL Rookie

IMHO, hackers and cheaters should be banned from the Live Leaderboards, so they can still play but the stats are not influenced.

EthanBar and dignifiedmantee like this.
  11. ZizzyDizzyMC

ZizzyDizzyMC Rookie

I just stay off the leaderboards by simply not logging into the game. My goal is to get high enough the game simply fails to play anymore. I've done it to several clicker games like cookieclicker, Clicker heros, clicker online universe and a few other random clicker games.

It'd be nice to have the ability to change leaderboards. So a genuine hacker can simply say "I hack: look at deez statz" Just by changing from standard leaderboards to hacker leaderboards.

12. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

Ideally we would like to allow people to create clans. Then you could have a clan leaderboard and the clan moderators could kick people out if they were hacking. This is a bit of a longer term vision though, takes a lot of work to make that part function correctly.

ZizzyDizzyMC likes this.
  13. Mutkanz

Mutkanz Rookie

About so called 'hacking'. Im my opinion, games which includes idle, days of afk and is based totaly on single player + no server included + save files are saved localy crypted - It's nothing.

Compare to other 'clicking' games. They are all the same, just idea how you show it off is different. But for example Time Rifters - is a different thing and therefore there should be taking some cautions to stop game being hacked.

Myself i always try out game as much as i can fairly (basically talking about flash games, browser games (all of them without any server side traffic)), but after it getting way too bored or so, i'm starting to mess arround checking how game were build, what algorithms were used and how you can overcome them for your benefits.

No hate. Just opinion. Haters gonna hate, hackers gonna hack and people who plays just for their interest will close their eyes on this issue and keeps comparing their stats with other same minded people.

Peace! ♥

Absynth likes this.
  14. puppy0cam

puppy0cam Elite

something that could make this easier on you is to use API requests to bring up stats for players in that clan and have a database for it. if you make it publicly available to use you could find some features that the community itself has come up with to create their own leaderboard that shows all stats with accuracy such as play history. if you made public API requests for the data available using maybe forum id or steam ID you could even have it so it shows how long it has been since a save has been uploaded to the server. the community would have a much bigger impact on the game and it means you will see a lot more eager amateur coders around that you can ask to use their idea for the game. the ability to mod this game would be amazing but I understand if you feel like this would make the paid game pointless when you have mods to do those features for you for free.

15. Killscreen

Killscreen Rookie

I wouldn't call them "leader"boards then. What are those players the leaders of?Putting up false scores achieved through questionable methods? Please look up Walter Day and examine the lengths he's gone to protect the validity of "single player" scores. Your game is outstanding, but time consuming, and I just can't bring myself to put in the time knowing that some hacker has the spot above me on the leaderboards with a bogus score. I'd like to see you guys make an effort to prevent that aside from encouraging like-minded clan boards. But I know, the game is free and putting in time is my choice. I just feel passionate about these types of things and the precedent they set for the future.

Proton likes this.
  16. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

We want Time Clickers (and our future games) to be as fair and rewarding as possible, it just takes time. We're building the pieces and putting them in place as we go, constantly evaluating what the top priorities are with help of community feedback (like this thread).

Time Clickers has only been on Steam for 3 weeks (feels like longer), in that time one of the things we added was a requirement of sending stats for over 7 days to show up in the 3rd column. I think we'll make it require 14 days to be shown above 2000 and 30 days to show up above 2500. Haven't had time to look into the implications of this yet (false positives getting hidden).

Kenzie & I are 100% dedicated to ensuring fun & fair gameplay. This site will continue to evolve, we have a long term plan, and combating the negative effects of hackers is at the center of it.

17. Dimps

Dimps Elite

I'm playing this game only for few days but my top result is already wave1320. I have a feeling I will be able to beat wave2000 before 14 days. I hope so :)

I really don't have any good anti-hacker solutions on my mind, looks like your "pairing" allows anyone to join with any stats they say they had by that time. I guess that's how your game model is, can't do much here. It even allows import-export, so as far as I understood I can share my "export" with a friend and there will be two guys with this much progress.

What you could probably do, is run some sanity checks. If guy's current wave is 500 and he earned 9999 cubes, he must be a cheater, flag him and hide him forever. Etc.
    But there is no way to detect someone who hacked before pairing. Except maybe you could do the sanity-checks on client, and store that "hacker" flag.

Sounds way too complicated and easy to overcome anyway. Your best ally is that a hacker wouldn't care enough to send stats for 30 days. Probably :)

18. Big_Boss

Big_Boss Rookie

either way it wont impact much.. perhaps you guys will do a "clean up" in months to come? I mean the game has only been around for 4 weeks now.. and i just started a few days ago and its pretty addictive :)

19. xSavageSlayer

xSavageSlayer Rookie

I agree with Big_Boss. If the hackers at any point start dominating the live leaderboards then you should definitely do something about it. If it is not, it is simply an unfair advantage which is not worth the effort in trying to stop.

20. Dimps

Dimps Elite

They do it right now. Look at top guys, they have 3kk cubes, and insane slopes up to 4000 wave over few hours. That's not something that is possible without cheats.