Is there any reason to use the Rocket Launcher or Particle Ball?

Discussion in 'Time Clickers' started by Play, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Play

Play Rookie

I'm still relatively new compared to some people in this game, (~55 hours, max wave ~1155), but with that I have noticed a couple things though play that either the community or the devs are going to have to address in a major way. This is, the idea that the Rocket Launcher and (mostly) Particle Ball, aren't cost elective and its better to just use the Pulse Pistol, Flak Cannon and Spread Rifle. To use only 3 attacking weapons in a game where there are already only 5 to begin with is a pretty big step, so let me explain myself.

If I were to say the one true unique thing about this game that sets it apart from other incremental games is how you only have 5 weapons to work with (not counting the click pistol). The next unique thing about this game is how it makes you think more deeply about leveling up these weapons more than just "highest level is better." This is because attack speed means something. Instead of having a single foe that you wale on for a bit until it dies, you have multiple enemies on the screen with individual health for each one, with varying amounts of health for each type. This is very clever because it makes you think about how all of the individual weapons work instead of just which one have more dps. But it seems to fall apart at the rocket launcher and, most of all, particle ball.

So why doesn't the rocket launcher or particle ball work in my eyes? Simple, they don't attack fast enough, and they are too expensive. Hear me out. Both of these weapons, even when at their highest speeds possible, cannot fill their attacking progress bars with "instant attacking." This is the most detrimental because early in a timeline where no matter what you do, you are instantly killing enemies and attack speed is the name of the game. And as you continue to time warp, the time that you are instantly killing enemies increases, thus making the time the rocket launcher and particle ball is useless far longer and longer. Since these two weapons are the last two weapons in the list, they are naturally more expensive. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to take the large about of money you would have spent in these two weapons and put it into something much more effective? Not only that, with time cubes instead of having to upgrade 5 artifacts that increase dps, ignore the last two and just put it into the other three or somewhere else entirely.

But what makes the pulse pistol, flak cannon, and spread rifle so much more effective? In the case of not being redundant ill recap what iv said, but in opposite. They are cheaper, can attack instantly, you can take the money and time cubes from not using the rocket launcher and particle ball and put it somewhere else more effective, and so on. There are a couple thing that make them stand out more so than usual though. the flak cannon and spread rifle can both get artifacts that both allow them to never miss. Which basically means that if an enemy is killed before the weapon can fire, it will redirect its shot to another enemy (if I understand correctly). This has huge ramifications when combined with the fact that they can both get into this "instant firing" phase. This also compounds when they are in spec ops training and they can get the extra projectiles upgrade, combined with never missing and instant firing it gets pretty insane. The pulse pistol is unique because there actually isn't an artifact in the left side of the damage tree that gives it a special bonus. Instead its special bonus is being the cheapest weapon and the first one that will get into spec ops training and get that colossal dps boost, as well as also being able to instantly fire. Late game this will help take down walls.

A few flaws I feel I found:
    1) I realize that the three top weapons wont always have the instant firing mode, but their fire speed increases so quickly that its not a huge problem.
    2) I also feel like the particle ball was made for taking down walls, specifically bosses, and getting that remove from my play could be bad. But one purpose for one weapon doesn't seem like enough insensitive to use it, compared to the huge potential of the top three.
    3) A biggie, the rocket launcher might actually be viable for late game, and I should just not use it until I start to slow down. Something I plan to test heavily. This could work, but using the top three has given me great results before, and I cant argue with those results either. Its a tough balance.
    4) The drop the dps you get in not using the bottom two weapons will lower your click damage. This could be fixed by keeping the rocket launcher and particle ball trailing behind the top three just enough that they aren't really digging into your money supply, but also enough that they impact your click damage, with the added benefit of slightly higher kills per second (kps because dps is less important in this game). Also, the potential time cubes you could have saved could go into the click tree on the artifact screen.

In the end this is just the insane ramblings of someone who really likes the direction the game has taken. If i'm right, then we as a community need to work to figure out how to work around this or the devs need to fix it. If i'm wrong, though, then please tell me because this is a huge problem with a large mechanic of the game and being right about it might not be the best -.-

Either way, good luck out there!

2. miquelfire

miquelfire Spec Ops

The way I play (using the xP button) I find the fact the weapons are cheaper to be a bit insane. The pattern with prices I have see is this. If you imagine the list as a loop, when you upgrade so that all the buttons are fully colored you can use those to predict the price to get the next 100 levels of upgrades.

For example, looking at my screen now, to upgrade to training 3.3 on the Flak Cannon, I need to spend 1.78e1 (using letter notation BTW). With that in mind, it would cost around 1.8 to 1.9 f1 to buy 100 levels of the pulse pistol. That's the pattern of the cost to upgrade stuff. Unless there's an artifact that is changing the cost of upgrades, I don't see how much these things cost would matter.

BTW, there's like 4 levels of cost, and it loops because there's 5 weapons. The amount go up a bit, but its like 1, 3, 40, 100 or something. And I have see keeping the weapons close be helpful at times with pushing pass a hump.

That's all I'll write for now as I need to warp as I hit my wall.

3. slowbro

slowbro Spec Ops

As of now I'm still using all five helpers, but while I'm climbing quickly, I'll sure say I like the part of the cycle when the Flak Cannon is the strongest. :) When that's true the levels just fly by.

vix likes this.
  4. Gam3rJoe

Gam3rJoe Rookie

I only use the Flak Cannon, Spread Rifle, and Rocket Launcher. The other weapons are okay, but not really cost effective as they only hit one enemy block, while the rest hit 3 or more with every shot. That may not be the best strategy, but it's been very effective for me.

slowbro likes this.
  5. uxfvtxla

uxfvtxla Rookie

Here's why I use them:
    • Before spec ops, they have upgrades that let you increase team DPS, and more importantly click damage by a % of total DPS
    • The rocket launcher causes splash damage, which is very useful for clearing stages early, and destroying red blocks later in the game
    • The particle ball has a huge DPS boost after every promotion, which increases team DPS and click DPS
    • I also have a lot of the click tree upgraded, so in late game (for me that's waves 1200+) my click damage is getting me through waves faster then my team damage
    Basically, they boost DPS a lot, which boosts click damage, which helps me in late game.

Dimps likes this.
  6. Lordshad0wz

Lordshad0wz Elite

I do a lot of clicking. Since they all add to my click damage I use them all. You just have to be smart about how you use them. Im still a noob and Ive made mistakes but Im learning.

Billy

#6 Lordshad0wz, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    Dimps likes this.
  7. slowbro

slowbro Spec Ops

These days Flak Cannon and Spread Rifle are my favorites, then comes Rocket Launcher, then Pulse Pistol, and last Particle Ball.

I mostly only use clicks while I've got my abilities going, but I do still keep all five upgraded. I think it helps to keep upgrading all five in a cycle. Maybe when you're advanced but currently in early stages it would make sense to only upgrade three, but then upgrade and use all five when you're near your current limit.

I definitely like to keep a lot of those icons next to the guns, and only promote after I have enough gold so I can obtain some of those icons again right away (if that makes sense).

By the way, as of yet the farthest I've gotten is about round 550, so take my newbie-level advice with a grain of salt, lol.

edit: my take on each weapon:

Flak Cannon and Spread Rifle - They kick butt! Fast enough, and hit many targets at once
    Rocket Launcher - hits many targets, but only fast enough once it has a lot of icons by it
    Pulse Pistol - very fast but only hits one target at a time
    Particle Ball - the slowest, and seems to only hit one target at a time

I don't judge them by their relative strength because they all get their time as your strongest as you level them up.

Click Pistol - I'm starting to see how useful this thing is once it's upgraded with quite a few Time Cubes! It does great work on bosses.

#7 slowbro, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  8. Steveduck

Steveduck Spec Ops

The only thing the particle ball is good for is boss fights, where its critical hits can decimate tough blocks.
    At least, from my time playing the game I think.

9. Yester

Yester Rookie

Every weapon has a phase in the game where it beats the other weapons. Having all 5 neatly upgraded at a max tier gives you more gold in the end if you go afk. then the particle ball comes into play for killing single blocks. the pulse pistol is good because it upgrades earlier into the next tech level where the damage increases dramatically giving a boost in speed.

slowbro likes this.
  10. opti

opti Elite

because the game is an incremental it doesn't seem to make sense to-not buy all 5 weps
    it's not an issue of 'cost effectiveness' like in games like AdCap where there's a huge fluctuation across all of the sales

i get putting flak and spread in priority, i often do if i'm not actively playing or not auto-afk'ing, but when you get spread up to 2000 you can afford to buy particleball AND rocketlauncher up to 1900 for less than the cost of spread 2001, so why not?