Friday Update: Networking

Discussion in 'News' started by Kenzie, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Kenzie

Kenzie Administrator
    Developer Moderator

As we previously mentioned, one of our visions for the game was to have a continuous world that you can run through without any loading screens, which we successfully implemented a couple of weeks ago.

Our next goal is to make it so that multiple people can smoothly move through that continuous world with you.

For the past couple of weeks we’ve been working on the networking. We’ve been experimenting with different networking tools, as well as programming styles (functional, reactive, streams, etc). We want to make sure that we find the right solution which will give us the performance we want as well as be easy to build upon & maintain going forward.

Since we’re back to working behind the scenes I don’t have any new photos to share. However, over the past month or so we’ve been tweaking the UI. I’m sure there will be many more changes to the UI before the game is released, but here’s a look at how its changed so far.
    [​IMG]

2. JorblikXabasto

Networking is one of those things that makes me really glad I'm just a writer. What's the maximum number of players-per-game you're aiming for?

Kenzie and Proton like this.
  3. Kenzie

Kenzie Administrator
    Developer Moderator

The minimum we want is 4, but we're interested in seeing how many we can get.

4. polandmatt

polandmatt Spec Ops

Awesome, keep up the great work guys! :)

Kenzie likes this.
  5. alexco

alexco Spec Ops

So what's the game mechanic,do you kill monsters or objects. How does teaming come into play. Do you compete with other teams. (sorry, my question mark key is broken).

Kenzie likes this.
  6. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

We're aiming for a simple vision:
    You will kill monsters with friends, earn :gold: to upgrade your weapons/equipment, earn :timecube: to upgrade skills.

So very much like a multi-player full 3D version of Time Clickers.

When we get to that simple vision, it will be ready for Alpha testing.

There are some other systems that we want (some small, some massive). But our sights are focused on making that simple vision first. You don't really know what will be fun until you try it.

And of course we are really looking forward to integrating feedback from the Alpha Team, then eventually the Early Access players.

Vonbear, MiguelDreamer and Kenzie like this.
  7. Vonbear

Vonbear Spec Ops

Really looking forward to kill some crawlers!

Proton and Kenzie like this.