Friday Update: Gameplay Experiments Have Begun!

Discussion in 'News' started by Kenzie, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Kenzie

Kenzie Administrator
    Developer Moderator

Like I said last week, this week was all about starting our gameplay experiments.

Our first experiment was designed to mimic Time Clickers. The world is made up of 5 arenas: 4 regular & 1 boss (right now we’re just focusing on the regular arenas). You have to kill 10 enemies to unlock the door to get from the current arena into the next one.

[​IMG]

Enemies can only spawn in their designated arena. They spawn in waves of 5, continuously spawning new enemies when the previous ones are killed. As soon as an enemy spawns it identifies you as a target and starts crawling towards you (hence the name Crawler). We wanted a way to continuously earn gold so enemies will keep spawning even after you’ve unlocked the next arena.

[​IMG]

After a bit of play testing we discovered that one potential problem with continuously spawning enemies is that there’s no downtime, it’s just constant action from one arena to the next. To add some more peaks & valleys, we did a test where each arena only spawned 10 enemies. Instead of grinding enemies, the arena will have red cubes that you can destroy for gold. These cubes will respawn (even after being destroyed), letting you grind for as long as you want before moving on to the next arena. If you prefer to grind enemies, re-entering an arena that you already beat will respawn that arena's 10 enemies.

This is just one of the many ideas that we want to test out before making any final decisions on gameplay. Not too sure what the plan is for next week, maybe more gameplay experiments (possibly reducing it to 2 arenas instead of 5: 1 regular & 1 boss), maybe starting to play around with the enemy & player progression, or maybe something else completely different.

2. Jersukai

Jersukai Spec Ops

What these mean?

So are there only 10 enemies in 2 waves or are there 10 x 5 enemies per arena?

Kenzie likes this.
  3. Kenzie

Kenzie Administrator
    Developer Moderator

For one of the experiments there are only 10 enemies total per arena. So when you first enter that arena 5 enemies will spawn. As you kill those initial 5 enemies another 5 will spawn, giving you the 10 total for the arena.

Not sure if we'll be sticking with this gameplay style, just one experiment we're doing :)

Vonbear likes this.
  4. MiguelDreamer

MiguelDreamer Spec Ops

I think 10 enemies per arena are few. Maybe increasing the number of enemies for each arena you pass would be more challenging.
    For example: 10 > 15 > 20 > 25 > BOSS.

MagicalWriter, Vonbear and Kenzie like this.
  5. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

Slight clarification on that, as soon as you kill 1 enemy a new one will spawn to ensure there are always 5 until all 10 are destroyed.

That's a good idea. We're using the battles in Doom 2016, Shadow Warrior 2 & Borderlands to get an idea of what we want combat to feel like.

We notice they always have about 5 enemies attacking at a time, this can slightly increase sometimes to 10 max if there are lots of weaker enemies. And there is a queue of enemies it spawns from weaker to stronger, probably about 25-30 enemies per queue (sort of like a wave for us).

I played Shadow Warrior 2 public co-op last night, 3 random people showed up and started blasting away enemies with me, was pretty cool. I hate the pacing of the game though, so much bakctracking and pointless story elements, the upgrade/loot system is just too complex too. It would be amazing if we could improve on that. One thing I would love to do is find a technical way to raise that 4 person player cap (I have some ideas on this that will require experimentation).

MiguelDreamer and Vonbear like this.
  6. polandmatt

polandmatt Spec Ops

Looks really awesome!

Kenzie likes this.
  7. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

Bugs and shader bugs (not the correct texture on Proton!)

[​IMG]

MiguelDreamer, Vonbear and Kenzie like this.
  8. Jersukai

Jersukai Spec Ops

Ugh...a bug! Someone step on it.

Ugh...creepy crawlies? I suppose the little bastards jump too.

Oh bloody hell, they hop too!

I always hated bloody spiders.

Vonbear and Kenzie like this.