Friday Update: First Tech Demo Released

Discussion in 'News' started by Kenzie, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Kenzie

Kenzie Administrator
    Developer Moderator

Our goal this week was to release the first Tech Demo, a slow camera tour of the arena, which is now available on the Time Gunners page.

After moving Time Gunners from the editor into it’s own WebGL project, we got it running locally and added the camera path to the scene. The camera movement was causing some craziness in the textures which was fixed by adding some anisotropic filtering (well mostly fixed, one of our Mac computers is refusing to run the anistropic filtering, but that's another story).

[​IMG]

Part of adding the anisotropic filter, was smoothing out the texture anti-aliasing, which also had the effect of smoothing the path way into the distance. Here's a glimpse of what it looks like with and without the anisotropic filter.

[​IMG]

The Tech Demo will send us an average FPS for each player as they move through the arena, but we want to know what your experience was like. Did it run smooth? Were there any specific areas that you experienced frame rate drops? Were there any graphical artifacts? Did you encounter any pink textures?

MiguelDreamer likes this.
  2. polandmatt

polandmatt Spec Ops

What if it doesn't work?

3. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

Does it give you an error when you load the page?

4. Vonbear

Vonbear Spec Ops

Ill make sure to check it tommorrow. Btw i really dont see the difference between af on/ off.

5. Kenzie

Kenzie Administrator
    Developer Moderator

Cool interested to hear what you think of it. In the AF Off picture, there are jagged lines around the outside of each of the little boxes, these are smoothed out in the AF On pic. Also in the AF On pic, the pathway in the distance just looks a bit blurrier & smoother (not too noticeable, but nice to have).

6. Vonbear

Vonbear Spec Ops

Now i checked it on my pc i can clearly see the difference between AF on/off (i guess my phone screen is to small to see the difference).
    Anyways, while watching the demo my fps where stable between 59-60. And i didnt see any weird thing except for 1 little thing.[​IMG]
    The lightning was smooth all the time but only in this corner it isnt. Beside that it was all looking nice!

Kenzie and Proton like this.
  7. Voxelkopf

Voxelkopf Spec Ops

It took a while to load, but when it did, the demo ran good overall, with most of the demo. 2-3 actually somewhat care-about-able drops in FPS occured (the biggest being at the start) but it didn't go anywhere below 45 I believe. (My "still playable" limit is 25-30 FPS.)

8. Quickreset

Quickreset Rookie

Your browser sniffing needs work. I use Pale Moon, a fork of Firefox. It most definitely supports WebGL, but I'm not even allowed to remain on the page; after you scold me for not using Firefox, I immediately get navigated away from it (how rude!)

Proton likes this.
  9. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

Have you been watching the Full House reboot ;)

Quickreset, Vonbear and Kenzie like this.
  10. Quickreset

Quickreset Rookie

;-) I switched to Chrome and it worked fine, if a bit slow to load (does Unity for webgl let you display a preloader?). On my ancient laptop, I get a nice steady 39 fps all through the demo -- it never dropped at all. I really like the sense of space; it really feels like you're in a huge open place. The ambient pulsing light really creeps me out since it has no visible source -- were you aiming for that? I'm really excited to see where you guys go with this, especially what the impact will be of the hi-res textures.

Proton likes this.
  11. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

There is a pre-loader, but we actually segmented off the tech demo into 2 scenes, a splash scene that contains only the game code, and an arena scene that contains all the level geometry & textures.

So the pre-loader doesn't show for very long, that way it gets right to the splash screen quickly. The theory is that there will be multiple maps and you don't need to download all of them, and you could be in the game on the title screen or server browser while it is downloading the maps. We are missing a progress bar for showing how far the arena is downloaded, somehow Unity lost this functionality with their new asset bundle system, so we'll likely have to code that in ourselves.

A feature we have yet to add is lighting for detail elements (torches, lights, window sills, fences, grass, plants, etc.). So still some experimentation to be done there, also with dynamic (moving) elements like players & weapons.

It's possible we may release a playable version with some of those things missing and then start adding those things slowly. It can be fun to watch the arena evolve as you are playing it.

12. Quickreset

Quickreset Rookie

Hm, I didn't see the preloader or the splash screen. The unity logo appeared for a fraction of a second, I guess that was the preloader even though I didn't see a progress bar.

13. SIRsir

SIRsir Spec Ops

This looks amazing! It ran at a smooth 60fps for me on chrome even though it dose not have unity support. The light flickering at the beginning and end spot was a bit extreme it was flickering about 2 or 3 blocks ,but besides that and that one corner that Vonbear said everything was great! :)

14. MiguelDreamer

MiguelDreamer Spec Ops

Looks great! Can't wait to play this game ;)

MagicalWriter and Kenzie like this.