Friday Update: Continuous World

Discussion in 'News' started by Kenzie, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Kenzie

Kenzie Administrator
    Developer Moderator

As I mentioned last week, the first goal this week was to get our revised weapon system back in the game and integrated with the new movement system. To recap, we completely tore apart our weapons system, pretty much rebuilding it from scratch (making it better & more flexible in the process), so getting it back into the game & testing out the new code felt pretty good.

Since we’ve already done some experiments with the teammates & player progression we have a good feel for how those will work in the game, so we decided that our time this week was better spent experimenting with the wave & arena progression.

From the very beginning we’ve envisioned a giant continuous environment where you can move seamlessly through the world without any loading screens. The goal this week was to see if this was technically possible (spoiler alert: it is :))

We’ve added a little connection room after each mini-boss & boss so that if players want to take a little break they can. For those that don't want to take a break you’re free to run from one end of the world to the other without any interruption (well except for enemies & bosses of course), but definitely without any loading screens.
    [​IMG]

The end of this week's update is slightly off topic. For those that are interested, our other game Time Rifters is taking part in Steam’s Autumn Sale and is 60% off until November 29.

2. MiguelDreamer

MiguelDreamer Spec Ops

Nice! Personally I love giant and varied continuous enviroments. Plus, if the enviroments or landscapes are beautiful I'm going to look at them instead of killing enemies! haha :)

Also, it seems you are doing pretty good with performance. Keep up the good work!

MagicalWriter, Proton and Kenzie like this.
  3. Vonbear

Vonbear Spec Ops

No no miguel, you gotta shoot at them while iam watching the enviroment ;).

Btw, you wont be able to go to the next room if you havnt cleared all the enemies, right?

4. Kenzie

Kenzie Administrator
    Developer Moderator

Right now we have it so that you can move in between the 4 regular areas but the door to the connecting room will be locked till you beat the mini-boss or boss. Of course this may change if we find something that's more fun :)

MiguelDreamer and Vonbear like this.
  5. MiguelDreamer

MiguelDreamer Spec Ops

No, my teammates will do the work for me :)

Just noticed some weird visuals (bugs?) in the gif xD

[​IMG]

MagicalWriter and Kenzie like this.
  6. Kenzie

Kenzie Administrator
    Developer Moderator

Yep we saw those too. One of the fun parts of seeing a game in active development, it won't always be perfectly polished :)

Vonbear and MiguelDreamer like this.
  7. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

Last week's gif we intentionally didn't show the view towards that door. It was pretty ugly and unfinished, but after we realized that was kind of the point of showing the development, even the things that aren't done yet.

So here is what that door looked like last week. It had a spawn room instead of a connector room (connector room wasn't created yet), and was missing a lot of mountain around it.
    [​IMG]