Chat timestamp.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theefool, Jun 20, 2015.

1. theefool

theefool Elite

Not sure if others need this, but would be nice to have a timestamp on when someone posts on the chat window. Other than that, nice site.

2. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

It's possible. Since the chat window is so narrow it looks pretty cluttered with it turned on though.

I did a quick test, here's what it looks like:

[​IMG]

3. theefool

theefool Elite

Would it be possible to turn on per user? As in, I want it turned on, but others don't. I don't mind that look.
    In addition would be nice to enlarge the width for those with larger monitors. I have both 4k and 1600p monitors.

4. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

The way chat caching is currently done means everyone sees the same thing. The chat is an html page that is continually re-generated when a new chat message comes in. That way refreshing is very fast and doesn't consume all of the server resources. Per user preferences aren't possible with this chat.

We did experiment with a different chat system, you can see it on the 'Game Page' screenshot here: http://imgur.com/a/12l0m That one did have per user features I believe, but it was very server intensive, and didn't integrate with the site as nicely.

The width of the chat is not hard-coded though. Sometimes I will go to this url to have a bigger chat: http://www.timegamers.com/chatbox/

5. miquelfire

miquelfire Spec Ops

But, how are we able to see a menu on our own messages? Couldn't that code handle showing the timestamp based on the user preference?

6. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

Perhaps I could make it only show when you hover using CSS. So it would always be there, but usually invisible. I'll check into it.

7. Proton

Proton Administrator
    Developer Moderator

I've changed the CSS a bit, so now the timestamp will appear when you hover over a user's chat message. What do you think of it?

Salandas and Kenzie like this.
  8. theefool

theefool Elite

Awesome thanks! Just now noticed this today. This is awesome!!! Now where is that donate button.

Proton likes this.